Monday, April 26, 2010

Burning Autumn Leaves [a composition in Spanish and English]

Burning Autumn Leaves

[1950s in St. Paul, Minnesota]

My long steel pointed rake punctured

And twisted through tons of autumn leaves

(back in the '50s);

And there's a hill yet, I didn't rake, I see

Behind it, two embankments

Leaves I didn't rake a day ago;

The essence of fall sleeps on the ground.

I love the scent of burning leaves:

I seem to dream of them nowadays.

I cannot shake the excitement I get

From the sight and smells of burning leaves.

Now the city will not allow the burning,

Not sure what can take its place--:

Only wishful thinking and dreaming, I think.

But every leaf that now appears, in autumn

I keep hearing the cracking of the fire; see

The flickering-flames of burning leaves; I

Can even smell---the autumn leaves of long ago.

I have had too much of raking leaves, I do believe--.

I'm now old and tired, too tired to rake those hills;

Yet raking I still desire, not sure why.

There were a thousand days I raked, back then

Held in hand, the rake that struck the earth--

Spiked, into its dirt--capturing those critters (leaves)

Like thieves--: thieves sleeping.

This tiredness of mine will never go away, I fear

It's called aging, or something, so I will have to find

Another place, to smell the burning autumn leaves;

And perhaps, perchance, do just a ting of raking:

Before the long, long, very long sleep.

#771 7/24/05

In Spanish

Hojas ardientes de otoño
(Los años de 1950 en St. Paúl. Minnesota)

Mi rastrillo de acero largo y puntiagudo pinchó

Y dio vuelta a través de toneladas de hojas

(Atrás en los años 50);

Y hay una colina aún, que no rastrillé, yo veo

Detrás de esto, dos terraplenes

De hojas que yo no rastrille hace un dìa;

La esencia del otoño dormirá sobre el piso.

Me gusta la esencia de las hojas ardiendo;

Yo parezco soñar con ellas estos días.

No puedo sacudirme el entusiasmo que consigo

De la vista y los olores de quemar hojas:

Ahora la ciudad no permitirá quemar,

No seguro de qué puede tomar lugar-:

Solo el optimismo pensando y soñando, Pienso

Pero cada hoja que ahora aparece, en otoño

Yo sigo oyendo el crujir del fuego; veo

El parpadear de las llamas de hojas ardiendo; yo

Puedo aún oler- las hojas de otoño de hace tiempo.

He tenido demasiado rastrillando hojas, Yo creo-

Ahora yo estoy viejo y cansado, demasiado cansado

para rastrillar esas colinas;

Aun rastrillando y todavía deseando, no seguro ¿por qué?

Hubo miles de días que rastrillé, atrás entonces

Sosteniendo en la mano, el rastrillo que golpeo la tierra-

Claveteando, dentro de su suciedad- capturando aquellos

bichos (hojas)

Como ladrones-: ladrones durmiendo.

Este cansancio mío no se irá jamás, yo temo

Esto es llamado envejecimiento o vejez, entonces yo tendré

que encontrar

Otro lugar, para oler las hojas ardiendo en otoño;

Y talvez, la posibilidad, de hacer justo un intento de rastrillar:

Antes de largo, largo, muy largo sueño.

#771 7/24/05

Tags : Soil Permeability Game Controllers Store. LOWER Prices

No comments:

Post a Comment